What is the "Honor Flight Fifty?"

First of all, thank you very much for stopping by! I'm training for and running the Fall 50 (yes, that's 50 miles) this year as a fundraising effort for the Stars and Stripes Honor Flight. I'm going to train all summer to run 50 miles on October 22nd to help raise money for an absolutely crucial mission.
The Honor Flight's Mission is to fly WWII veterans and terminally ill veterans from other wars to see their memorials in Washington, DC. They also work closely with schools throughout Wisconsin to ensure that the heroic stories of our veterans are built into the curriculum so that future generations will fully appreciate the sacrifices made on their behalf.
Time is of the Essence! As the last of the Greatest Generation approach their final curtain call, we are witnesses to a tremendous loss as we embrace a precious opportunity! They will die - 900 heroes - men and women who defined dignity, pass from us each and every day. 900 heroes, every day. They take their stories and history and enormous bravery with them. But many are still among us, and while there is no earthly way we can approach a gift that reflects our depth of gratitude, we can thank them anyway.
By supporting the Honor Flight Fifty, you'll help the Honor Flight Fly! 100% of donations will go to the Stars and Stripes Honor Flight.
- Nic Giebler




Site Map

Please see the left and right sidebars for more information, or continue to scroll down to follow my blog of training and preparation!

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Taper Time!

With the start of the Fall 50 less than two weeks away, it's time for me to taper. That, in turn, means it's time for me to start doubting my training, doubting the weather forecast, and realizing how much this is probably going to really, really hurt. All par for the taper-tantrum course.

This past week was my last big week of training, and it got short-circuited by an illness last Saturday. While it was 80 out (in October!), I was shivering under a sweatshirt most of the day, then I slept most of the afternoon, and then I battled a brutal headached all of Sunday. Luckily, I had some amazing Wisconsin sports teams to watch on Sunday and ease my pain. I wonder what it's like to be from a state with bad teams. (paging Minnesotah...)

Anyway, I'm feeling much better today and got out for a nice run this evening and everything felt good. I really wish I was running this weekend...but I've got plenty of planning and pacing and scheduling to do to keep me busy until October 22.

That, and at our office we just implemented electronic health records and have gone paperless. THAT will also keep me busy.

1 comment:

  1. I'm pulling hard for the Brewers, they got it handed to them last night though. At least the Badgers are doing great!

    Good luck with the taper madness, and go have a great race!

    ReplyDelete